Monday, March 30, 2009

The Dimensions of Creativity



I have been playing with creativity for a number of years and each time I play I find something different. This is my latest thinking about what it is that makes up creativity. I have called it the Starfish Model of Creativity. The starfish seems to be most appropriate. They have 5 legs [I am suggesting that creativity has 5 interdependent dimensions] and are well known for their powers of regeneration - their ability to recreate themselves.
The relationship between the 5 dimensions of creativity determines one's capacity for being creative.

I have identified the following 5 dimensions of creativity:

1.Vision - creating powerful pictures of what you desire

"The future belongs to those who see possibilities before they become obvious." John Scully

2.Competence - having the skills / attitude to bring the vision into being

"Avoid competency traps. Do not stay only where you are good at things. Go out and be challenged." Andrew Creighton

3.Curiosity - having a continuous sense of wonder

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." Dorothy Parker

4.Reality - having no illusions, and

"Few people have the imagination for reality." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

5.Courage - feeling the fear and doing it anyway

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." Ambrose Redmoon

Each of these dimensions is needed to be creative - I think!

I will continue to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment