- Creative thinker: produces new ideas
- Innovator: brings the new ideas to market and/or makes changes to an established product or service
- Inventor: comes up with new and potentially commercial ideas. Often combines both creative thinker and innovator.
- Entrepreneur: conceives or receives ideas and turns them into business realities. Often uses other people's brains or other people's money to develop a market opportunity
- Intrapreneur: takes hands-on responsibility for creating innovation in an organisation.
- Champion: picks up an idea, not necessarily their own, and runs with up. Shows commitment and tenacity in seeing it developed properly and successfully implemented
- Sponsor: Gives an idea the backing it deserves - often a senior person who believes in it and influences people to clear the way and help overcome obstacles as it is taken to realisation. [Source: Effcetive Innovation by John Adair]
Who in your organisation plays these roles?
Which of these roles do you play?